Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Home Made Yoghurt

Once again inspired by Julie (I'm starting to sound like a groupie!), I've started making yoghurt.  I bought an EasiYo, which is really just a big thermos, and have successfully made yoghurt a few times.  Using the EasiYo sachets is too easy for words (pretty much just add water and wait), so of course I've found a way to make it more complicated!  I did this for a few reasons, mainly that I don't like powder in packets* (note the hypocrisy of this: I'm going to mention powered milk below!) and also I prefer to keep my ingredients organic (I know, I can get organic EasiYo sachets - that's what I started my yoghurt with - but I've not seen the organic starters at my local supermarket).  I was using these directions, but then found that, by using UHT milk, I could avoid the need for re-pasturisation of the milk (right after I'd coughed up for a candy thermometer; guess I'm really going to have to make marshmallows now).  
I suggest you look here for the post from which this information was taken (It's very comprehensive: I'm just reproducing the directions now as I've made a few small changes and I want to keep the information for easy reference for myself).  


Ingredients:
1 litre organic UHT milk**
1/2 to 1/3 cup powdered milk (the more you add, the thicker the yoghurt)
3 tablespoons of plain yoghurt (with no gelatin)
Method:
1- Mix yoghurt with a splash of UHT milk until it makes a smooth paste;
2- Add paste to remainder of milk then put it into the container for the EasiYo;
3- Shake the container to mix the milk and paste;
3- Add boiling water to the thermos and leave it on bench overnight;
4- When yoghurt is set, put it in the fridge***;
5- As soon as you open the new batch of yoghurt, get at least 3 tablespoons and place in another container - this yoghurt will be your "starter" for the next batch.
(original Copyright Julie from Towards Sustainability).


* I may change my tune on this VERY soon - check Julie's post for information on special yoghurt cultures. 
** UHT milk = already partially sterilised, so there's apparently no need for re-pasturisation.  If you cannot access UHT milk, follow these instructions for making yoghurt.
*** The longer the yoghurt is left out of the fridge, the tarter it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment